Sunday, October 11, 2009

Red Wings Give Back


After last night, the Red Wings will always be more than just a hockey team to me. Their organization gives back to the community and beyond. Their annual fight against breast cancer night helped raise funds for the cause and touched many people's lives last night.

I had the privilege to be a guest last night in one of the suites at the Joe to watch the Red Wings play. Included were more than 20 other breast cancer survivors. Each of these women had their own story to tell and I thoroughly appreciated hearing some of those stories and all I could think was, WOW! My cancer ordeal didn't entail having to endure chemo or radiation like most of these ladies had to endure. These women who had to go through the wringer like that to survive makes me sad that there hasn't been a cure yet for this devastating disease. But, I still hold on to the belief that God's timing is perfect and someday there will be a cure. Until then, I will continue to pray for the cure and pray for the women who are diagnosed with breast cancer.

I like hockey, I really do and I was honored that I was invited but my biggest joy was being able to share the evening with a friend from high school who has battled cancer for six years. I hadn't seen Jeanette since our reunion three years ago and when I found out I had the opportunity to bring another breast cancer survivor along, I was thrilled she was able to come.

Not only did we get to watch the game, enjoy each other's company and feast on the food that was provided for us, we received a surprise visit from Steve Yzerman! What a gracious man he is. He took the time to sign autographs and pose for photos with all of us. I don't think he will know what it truly meant for many of the women there. The smiles on some of the ladies' faces said it all. The Wing's organization also had a camera come up to the suite and video all of us waving which was "fed" to the big screen in the arena. My husband told me there was a standing ovation from the fans which brings tears to my eyes right now as I write this.

My thanks to the Wing's organization for doing this. My biggest thanks to Bekki, wife of the Wing's VP/Assistant GM, who organizes this every year and is also a 10 year breast cancer survivor herself. She doesn't do this for fame or fortune. She doesn't do this to get her name in the paper. She does this because she has such a compassionate heart for women who have been struck with this disease. She uses what she has at her disposal to benefit others. Many of us may not be able to give something as big as she and the Red Wings have given but we all have our "thing", our "niche" that can be used to help or inspire others at the appropriate time. Just ask God what it is and he will reveal to you the perfect time to share it with someone.

1 comment:

  1. We all have our walk... to find what God wants of us... we all struggle to figure out which voice is His. Sounds to me like you've got a good grip on His words to you. Congrats for finding a place to use your voice for all of us. Great start - I can't wait to read more of what you have to say!

    ReplyDelete