Tuesday, October 11, 2022

Reconstructed - Again


 October 11, 2022

Yesterday, Oct 10 another surgery was conquered. Thanks to a breast cancer diagnosis back in 2009, breast implants and reconstruction were part of my treatment. However, breast implants don't last forever. 

An MRI showed one of my implants had ruptured which meant getting them outta there!

Apparently per my surgeon, surgery went really well. 😊 But keeping it real and not gonna lie, I am feeling the pain. As long as I stay on top of my meds it is manageable for now. Winning!

But in the true Solodon spirit, there are always some tidbits thrown in there that must be laughed at. And since we have been an open book from the beginning of this journey back in "09", we'll just keep it going. 😜

Ladies my age will understand this one. After eight months of her nowhere to be seen, Mother Nature decided to pay me a visit prior to my surgery. 🙄 It's bad enough I have to start the countdown over again but seriously! Now? Right before surgery?!?! Soooooo, because of that I had to take a pregnancy test before they could proceed with the surgery! 😳😂 Of course it was negative.

So, next my surgeon comes in to talk and to make markings on me. Mind you this is a breast reconstruction surgery and my surgeon is a perfectionist and my dear Dennis is in the room too as I am being drawn on. I can't even imagine the thought going on in his head. 😂 The surgeon then asks if I want liposuction done on a certain area on the side of my breast near the area under my armpit. I said, "Sure! Why not?" I always see that extra skin or fat or whatever it is when I wear a swim suit. So liposuction it is!

We're done with the markings and now we talk with the nurse who will be in the OR room with me and she proceeds to tell me since surgery is more than three hours long I will be having a catheter placed in me. And all I could think of was Mother Nature's unwelcome visit. At this point I'm just thanking God I will be asleep through all of this and likely will not see any of these very lovely peeps again.

I say bye to Dennis and get put into lalaland for the duration of two movies worth of time. I think Dennis watched a couple of Mission Impossible movies. To me it felt like a half hour nap. I couldn't believe what time it was when I came out of anesthesia. Thankfully I did not experience any nausea but was groggy, hungry and had a croaky voice due to the tube that was put down my throat. Surgery was successful with the surgeon telling Dennis it was like scooping jello out of my breasts before replacing with Gummi Bear implants.

I finally got to my short stay room. I hadn't eaten in almost 24 hours. Poor Dennis was hungry and tired too but was ready to run out to get me something to eat if needed. It was 6:31 and the hospital kitchen closed at 6:30 but thankfully someone from the kitchen picked up the phone when Dennis called and I was able to get some gourmet stir fry just like you would experience from Mongolian BBQ! Also ordered breakfast for the morning which we will be thankful for the hands that made it for me.

Between having to have my vitals taken every half hour or so and dealing with pain, sleep was intermittent.

I was discharged around 11am the day after surgery. Immediately after walking into the house I received a call from the hospital saying I had left my glasses there. Poor Dennis. You see, I can't drive so off he went to the hospital to retrieve my glasses....half hour drive each way.

Now I sit here watching my third movie. It'll be hard. I don't do well with not being busy. I don't do well with being the one being cared for. But I fall back on what I do know. God has me where He wants me. Whether it is to reel me back in to learn to trust and rely on Him and others again when I can't do it for myself or to teach me some sort of other lesson, I'm here for it.

I had excellent care at the hospital and now am in good hands at home with Dennis who now has to cook, clean, shop and take care of me in ways he isn't used to. But I know he will do great!





No comments:

Post a Comment