Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Restrictions Lifted and Perhaps a Special B'day Gift in March

Just got back from another post op visit with the plastic surgeon.  I didn't have huge expectations because I've learned and accepted this is a long process which must not be rushed.  Ultimately it is teaching me to rely more on God and less on me.  It is teaching me patience which I thought I had enough of.

My last visit a month ago left me disappointed when the doc told me I still had major restrictions as far as working out or going in the jacuzzi and that nipple reconstruction wouldn't take place until January 2010 (was hoping for Christmas.)  I was pretty deflated then.  I eventually got out of that funk and was a "good girl" and only did what was allowed so as not to ruin my plastic surgeon's masterpiece.

Going in today I cautiously hoped and prayed I'd be given clearance to start doing more intense work outs like I used to.  It's a part of my life that has been missing for six months.  I already knew whatever was told to me was for my own good so if clearance wasn't given then so be it.

I AM ECSTATIC RIGHT NOW!  I was given something back today that breast cancer took away from me for awhile!  Doc gave me clearance to start incorporating weights and aerobic type exercise back into my routine.  I do have a minor restriction - no push ups or other types major chest exercises.  But so what.  I hate doing push ups anyway.  Besides, he explained to me these types of exercises could ruin the cleavage I now have.  We can't have that now, can we?  (Again, TMI?  Sorry.)

I don't need to see the plastic surgeon again until February which in itself would be great news, however this means nipple reconstruction is prolonged for an even longer time than originally anticipated.  A little disappointment crept up but was very short lived.  I GET TO WORK OUT!  And, I have a birthday in March so perhaps I will receive a "one of a kind" birthday gift next year.

I'm still not done with appointments for this year.  I see the surgeon who performed my mastectomy in December and resulting from that appointment I will probably need an MRI to check to make sure no cancer has returned.

Going to work out now.! And yes, I will ease into it.  I promise!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment